International Relief Fund
Mine History and Facts
McElroy Mine was born in 1968,
branching off Ireland Mine in Moundsville.
Ireland Mine mined toward 1 south, dump area, Fish Creek bottom,
slope, motor barn and 1 north areas. McElroy lies from the Ohio River to Cameron, WV.
McElroy employs 816 UMWA
employees and 176 salary employees. Labor costs estimated at 67 million.
McElroy liberates approximately
14 million cubic feet of methane in a 24 hour period.
November 10, 1969:
UMWA Local Union 1638 chartered.
December 11, 1970:
Seals to Ireland Mine completed.
November 1979: McElroy
July 16, 1979: First longwall started
Mine was shut down in 1984 and
reopened in July 1987.
May 13, 1996: Blake’s Ridge
portal move from Fish Creek Portal.
On June 13, 1997, Alvin Schneid
hauled the last 40 car trip of coal after Louie Straight loaded
them and Buck Lightner dumped them.
June 15, 1997:
Belt project competed from the old dump to 5 south
May, June and July 2002:
July 24, 2004:
was put in service.
August 2, 2004: Second longwall
July 10, 2006: Some
crews moved to Grapevine Portal.
October 18, 2008: Move from
Blake’s Ridge Portal to Cameron Portal.
CONSOL Energy announces that McElroy is among 5 UMWA mines for
December 5, 2013:
Robert Murray of Murray Energy Corporation buys the five mines
for 3.2 billion dollars. Included
in the sale are the river loadout (UMWA Local Union 1110) and the river
Mr Murray renames McElroy Mine
to Murray American Energy Corporation, Marshall County Coal Company,
Marshall County Mine.
McElroy currently has 12 active
air shafts, 2 slope and 10 surface ventilation fans.
The Pittsburgh No. 8 coal seam from the bottom of the coal slope
and 5 North mains drops 250 feet in elevation.
The overburden ranges from 200 feet thick towards the river to
1200 feet thick towards Cameron.
Cameron portal shaft is 948
feet deep, grapevine portal shaft is 1114 feet deep, Blake’s Ridge
shaft is 951 feet deep and Fish Creek Shaft is 212 feet deep.
McElroy Mine has produced since
1990, 150 million tons of clean coal.
The mine has 2 longwall units
and 6 continuous miner units. The
coal is sent to the preparation plant were it is cleaned and then sent
to river to be loaded into barges for shipment. The mine has
approximately 27 miles of belt.